Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Misconceptions in Science

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

One misconception students in physical science often have is that students assume objects that float in water are lighter then water. They don't understand the concept of density. I don't know if digital media really helps foster this misconception, at least that I can see. One of the ways I have students confront this misconcpetion is by giving them a variety of liquids such as vegetable oil, dawn dish soap, corn syrup, honey. I ask them to make some predictions about which liquids are "lighter" and "heavier" than water. I ask them if varying the amount of the liquids will effect the experiment, then I let them pour the various liquids together and keep track of the mass and end results. It helps them understand that density is determined by mass/volume.

This thread was posted on May 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM ET by Laura Mibeck.
  |   4 Replies   |   Last on 7/9/2019 at 12:09 PM ET
Re: Misconceptions in Science

I like the hands-on approach on taching the concept of density. Perhaps you can use digital media for students to research fields/careers in which density is needed. Students will not only learn how density works (hands-on), but also the practical use density has and why the information is valuable.

This was posted on May 31, 2015 at 9:57 AM ET by Tisha Grudzien.
Re: Misconceptions in Science

The exploration in the lab is critical.  But the next day pull up a video of an aircraft carrier plowing through heavy seas, or  a whale breaching, and ask students to apply what they know about density to explain what they are seeing.  :)  

This was posted on June 2, 2015 at 1:05 AM ET by Stephen Boliver.
Re: Re: Misconceptions in Science

if style and all designs have been approached for the citizenships. The move of the term and bid 4 papers are done for the humans. The right use is depicted for the movement of the class for the humans.

This was posted on June 12, 2019 at 6:39 AM ET by Michael Wise.
Re: Re: Re: Misconceptions in Science

Any cooperation between a client and an item supplier at the time of offer, and from that point, by other words the customer service is the demonstration of dealing with the client’s needs by giving, delivering, supportive, fantastic administration with professional help before , during , after sales, and meet the client’s requisites.

what does customer service mean to you

This was posted on July 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM ET by Alan Sanders.