Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - June Topic - Flipped Classrooms

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

What is one thing that excites you and one things that scares you about flipped classrooms? 

This thread was posted on June 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   4 Replies   |   Last on 5/11/2016 at 6:31 PM ET
Re: June Topic - Flipped Classrooms

I am excited about the ability of students to proceed at a pace that is best for them--to take a second or third look at a concept for better understanding or exploration.  I am scared that I would develop such flipped lessons and then the software, etc would become obsolete and the lessons would need to be repeated with a different software.

This was posted on May 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM ET by Andrea Cobb.

I have been trying to flip my classroom in bits and pieces. What I like about it is that students seem to buy into it more. Giving students a feeling of control over their education is huge.

What worries me is the tech end of it, or many reasons. It just seems to be the biggest hurdle both for me and te students in my rural district. Some of the students don't have access outside of school and even at school it's not always reliable.

This was posted on June 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.

I am excited to provide flipped classroom resources at the secondary level, especially resources I have created myself, because I think they are an excellent tool for differentiating learning and reaching kids who struggle with "getting it" in the confines of a class period.  I am scared that some educators seem to think that a flipped classroom model could be exclusively used at the secondary level - there is simply no subsitute for encouragement and praise by a teacher during an adolescent's formative years.

This was posted on June 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM ET by Rachel Beattie.
Re: Re: June Topic - Flipped Classrooms

I agree with you, Rachael. The flipped model gives lots of opportunity for more individualized attention and praise for students. That's so important to help keep kids interested in science! 

This was posted on June 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.