Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Homeostasis and movement in the classroom

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

I recently failed on a major scale trying to teach the basic concept of homeostasis (and its components) by incorporating a game in the classroom that involved movement and had various roles for everyone - what I'm wondering is the following...how do you keep teaching difficult concepts and make them relevant... and what are your biggest failures as a teacher?

This thread was posted on April 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM ET by Dan Bartsch.
  |   1 Reply   |   Last on 4/8/2014 at 7:51 PM ET
Re: Homeostasis and movement in the classroom

Can you provide a bit more detail regarding what the activity was? Or a link to the activity? That way, I can compare how I teach it to the challenges you experienced.

My biggest challenges as a teacher is simply in getting to all of the content. Since we spend so much time on particular topics (like ATP/chemiosmosis in photosynthesis and cellular respiration), I simply don't get to 1 or 2 topics, primarily ecology. While this is frustrating, I simply haven't been able to find a way to satisfy the needs of our department (and their future science courses) and fit everything into the school year. 

This was posted on April 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM ET by Caitlin Johnston .