Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Nursing Asst pre nursing introduction

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

I teach a prepartaory class for 11th and 12th graders to be eligible for the Wa State certification exam.  Many of my students are enrolling in prenursing classes.  I use a nursing history  project that leads to cultural and religious diverisity studies that culminates in a vignette created by students to share with the entire class the similarities and differences of attitides and practices surronding end of life ceremonies.  It takes about 4 weeks to cover it all and comes after an introduction to bioethics.  We have used posters and brochures and even a dress up option and did a food element one year.  It's ambitious but after 4 years I feel like I am getting stale in presentation and this years results were not satisfactory for me or students.  Got any great pep me up suggestions?

This thread was posted on April 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM ET by Kathleen Cass.
  |   5 Replies   |   Last on 1/22/2019 at 6:15 AM ET
Re: Nursing Asst pre nursing introduction

What a cool way to incorporate cross-curricular goals and help students connect with the story behind the science! That is really neat.

Have you looked into the resources from NWABR for bioethics lessons? They have a whole Bioethics 101 course (which can be found here on the LifeSciTRC) that might be useful to you and can help to invigorate you and your students. I used one lesson in particular about Dennis, a boy whose religious beliefs are discordant with his treatment options. To get to this particular case, and to read a more thorough review I wrote about it, click here. Truly, this is one of my favorite lessons that I do all year long, and the kids absolutely love it. Since this case also is dealing with a possibly terminal illness, I think it could easily slide into your current curriculum. 

It's great to meet you! :) 

This was posted on April 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM ET by Caitlin Johnston .
Re: Re: Nursing Asst pre nursing introduction

Yes I have and do use that great curriculum.  Usually in the first weeks of school as it dovetails nicely with team work expectations and working with others.  Great to see the changes that happen in HOW they think.  Nice to meet you also.

This was posted on May 15, 2014 at 3:45 PM ET by Kathleen Cass.

I too use nursing history to lead towards cultural diversity.  We culminate in a presentation about death/dying/funeral/burial practices.  We have in past years simulated those practices with dress and food.  The students get quite invested in their chosen area of study.  I too find the bioethics portion first makes the students more team work ready.  Nice to meet you.

This was posted on May 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM ET by Kathleen Cass.

I enjoyed over read your blog post. This was actually what i was looking for and i am glad to came here!

run 3

This was posted on December 14, 2018 at 1:27 AM ET by funny jokes.

Whenever a woman tries to date comversation starter something negative or tease you, agree with her. For example:

Her: "That shirt makes you look gay."
You: "That's because I am super-gay. I made out with like 20 guys already tonight."

or

Her: "Is that your pickup line?"
You: "Yes, my mom gave me two. Is it working?"

You become unputdownable. Rejection cannot touch you! 

This was posted on January 22, 2019 at 6:15 AM ET by Alla Pasons.