Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Science Misconception - Ellie Williamson

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

A big misconception I have found with my student is associated with evolution.  Some believe that when the environment changes the organisms then become adapted to survive in the changes rather than the variants within the species that have traits that allow them to thrive successfully are able to survive and pass on those traits leading to a change in the population with those traits over time.  The right electronic resource can help to address this misconception.  For example the website ExploreLearning Gizmos: Math & Science Simulations Powering Inquiry and Understanding  https://www.explorelearning.com/ was a simulation that my students used to model evolution of moths before and after the industrial revolution.  This misconception could also be modeled with non electronic simulations.  We used beans to model the model antibiotic resistance as well.  I think that misconceptions are best corrected when students are engaged in a relevant activity and when they can reflect on their thinking before and after the activity.  Also they need to be able to use the activity to justify their answers as they analyze the activity and make connections.

This thread was posted on May 30, 2016 at 3:54 PM ET by Ellie Williamson.
  |   1 Reply   |   Last on 4/1/2019 at 1:21 AM ET
Re: Science Misconception - Ellie Williamson

College students need such kind of advice, so they can successfully able to survive and pass on those traits leading to a change in the population with those traits over time. And such kind of Misconception also helpful for student’s and improve their interest at classroom. At Personal Statement Folks, which is leading marketing personal statement help -http://www.personalstatementfolks.co.uk/marketing-personal-statement/ providers in UK, I would like to familiar my students with this misconceptions which are best modified when students are involved in a applicable activity and when they can imitate on their thinking before and after the activity.

This was posted on April 1, 2019 at 1:21 AM ET by CarolineWebb Webb.