Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Misconceptions in Science-Arlene Ramos

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Throughout the years of teaching Biology/Anatomy and Physiology, I noticed the following misconceptions from my students

• The bigger the animal, the bigger the cell size
  • Plants have no mitochondria. They use sunlight as a source of energy while animals need the mitochondria so they can produce ATP as source of energy.
  • All animal cells are round in shape and plant cells are rectangular.

With the onset of technology use with this generation, I observed that some students do not check the sources of the information they get from the internet. They believe everything they see and as an educator I try to start the year with them on a lesson discussing legitimate onine resources that they can use in class. I usually have a list of websites and electornic resources that I recommend for them to use. 

This thread was posted on May 29, 2016 at 11:02 AM ET by Arlene Ramos.
  |   2 Replies   |   Last on 5/20/2020 at 2:32 PM ET
Re: Misconceptions in Science-Arlene Ramos

I think with that second one about plants and mitochondria it is also how we teach science at different levels. To keep it simple, in younger grades we focus on plants for photosynthesis and if we even mention cellular respiration it is just about how we take in oxgyen that plants give off. Then in later grades we expect students to expand their thinking and understanding that plants take in oxygen too. It is tricky to balance develomentally appropriate understanding and accuracy but I think this perpetuates some of the confusions.

This was posted on May 29, 2016 at 6:06 PM ET by Anna Cynar.
Re: Re: Misconceptions in Science-Arlene Ramos

Make sure that you do not put any of these misconceptions in the dissertation uk as it has to show you clear minded. You do not have to give anyone a place to doubt your work.

This was posted on May 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM ET by Rey Valentin.