Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - Undergraduate Educators - October Topic - Bringing Science Together in Your Class

A forum for undergraduate educators at the community college, college, and university level to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

How do you tie science concepts together for your students? Share below:

This thread was posted on October 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   8 Replies   |   Last on 10/16/2019 at 11:22 PM ET
Re: October Topic - Bringing Science Together in Your Class

Often times the best way to tie science concepts together is to give the students an example they would all be familiar with and then bring in the science concept again. Thermoregulation and homeostasis are classic examples. The common example of a thermostat is often used to demonstrate regulation of temperature in your house then bring it back to how the body regulates its temperature. In animal physiology you can expand and talk about conformers that do not regulate their body temperature.

This was posted on October 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM ET by Patricia A. Halpin.

In teaching human anatomy and physiology I attempt to help students build on what they have already learned by showing them how our body systems are interconnected. For example, we study the skeletal system before the nervous system, and I point out to them (again) the points of exit for nerves from the skull and vertebral column. With each body system I try to help students connect to other systems in order to view the body as a whole rather than just the individual parts or systems.

This was posted on October 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM ET by Deborah Miller, D.C..

In upper level undergraduate classes in physiology, after I present and discuss the materIal in the physiology textbook, I give examples from dalily activities that involve the physiological systems. I ask if they know anybody with a problem or disease that involve this system.  Then I ask the students to find out if there is current research going on in this area. Then we will discuss what the students think about these new trials!

This was posted on November 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM ET by Nuran Kumbaraci.
Re: Re: October Topic - Bringing Science Together in Your Class

You have a great idea to use known diseases whether it be their family members or friends that have it as a precursor of starting diseases.

This was posted on May 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM ET by Misty Torres.

You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
'Cause I give you all, all of me
And you give me all, all of you

io game

This was posted on October 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM ET by Robert Sharph.

I like to bring in images from the primary literature and ask students to tie the results in to the class content and share possible implications for their daily life. It forces students to go beyond what they may be trying to memorize for class and use their critical thinking skills. It also helps them to see that fundamental scientific research is important for their life. I think it helps to tie things together or perhaps starts to do that.

This was posted on June 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM ET by Lynn Diener.
Re: Re: October Topic - Bringing Science Together in Your Class

One of the best way of teaching science is playing and nature study because such kind of activities encourage students to take interest in studies.  

Best Regards,

IT CV writer - https://www.cvfolks.co.uk/it-cv/ at CV Folks. 

This was posted on October 16, 2018 at 1:52 AM ET by Lauren Desouza.
Re: Re: Re: October Topic - Bringing Science Together in Your Class

Community has some forums that were for the undergraduate educator this have some topics on this that have descriptions. I was able to have some format so I need to hire aussie writers they are professional among their work that was good to have them admire facilities on this.

This was posted on September 18, 2019 at 3:15 AM ET by Quintessa Hays.