Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - September Topic - New Ideas for the Classroom

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

What new thing are you trying in your classroom this year? Share what you're doing below so other community members can benefit.

This thread was posted on September 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   4 Replies   |   Last on 5/11/2015 at 11:00 PM ET
Re: September Topic - New Ideas for the Classroom

While trying to implement more of the NGSS into our classes, I am really trying to focus on using more models and application  in my classes. Less multiple choice and more short ansewr or lab questions! 

This was posted on September 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM ET by Aubrey Mikos.

At the beginning of each unit I plan to share what careers this information could be applicable to in the future.  Kids want to know why we learn some of the things we learn, so I think this might increase the interest level and buy in on the material.

This was posted on May 1, 2015 at 3:15 PM ET by Ashley DeNardis.
Re: Re: September Topic - New Ideas for the Classroom

That's a really great idea, Ashley! I think getting them hooked and interested in the topic using careers could definitely work. How do you present the careers to your students?

This was posted on May 6, 2015 at 10:04 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.

One thing I am doing different is taking notes with tons of pictures and diagrams. I am even experimenting with taking infographic style notes rather than Cornell style. So far it looks like the students like the idea of notes being a little more free-flowing.

This was posted on May 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM ET by Bob Martin.