Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Classroom Gardening

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

I want to start a classroom garden with my 5th graders.  Any tips and/or resources that worked for you?

This thread was posted on April 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM ET by Laura Ehlers.
  |   4 Replies   |   Last on 4/25/2018 at 9:22 AM ET
Re: Classroom Gardening

What type of garden do you want to grow?  I would suggest to start with a bird and butterfly garden then work your way up to fruits and veggies. The  following link will help you gain a few ideas.

https://monarchlab.org/education-and-gardening/gardening-for-monarchs/garden-grants/other-garden-grant-opportunities/ 

This was posted on April 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM ET by Chantal Correll.

Go to the community! I started 2 different gardens (at 2 different schools) with most of the supply donated from local businesses. Also, work with Special School District. They also received grants to donate towards the program. They also tended the garden over the summer. Call it Garden Buddies - partnering your science students with special needs students.

This was posted on April 23, 2018 at 8:24 PM ET by Kyle Farley.

Contact your local Master Gardener Association. Master Gardeners are required to perform community service. Also, apply for a grant from Lowe's. That could help with materials for boxes and starter plants. 

This was posted on April 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM ET by Amy Smith.

I work in an inner-city school and have been doing gardens for years with my kids - its so gret because they typically have zero experience.

I've had a lot of luck with beans and peas, and usually have students design some experiments to measure impact on plant growth. I'll give each group soil, 18 seeds, a six-pack planter, and have them try to manipulate each section of the planter (watering amount, pH, himidity, etc)

This was posted on April 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM ET by Vincent Joralemon.