Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Looking for Interactive-Low cost basic Chemistry Activities

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Greetings! 

Our state is in the middle of a standards transistion. I am in the process of planning a (very basic) chemistry unit for my 7th graders, since they will not recieve this content again until they take Chemistry in High School (chemistry standards are moving from 8th grade to 7th grade next year). I will have 3 weeks for this unit and I am expecting to have many interruptions to my classes over the next couple of weeks. I am looking for fun, informative, and low cost activities that can teach the following topics:

-Matter - Atoms and their Structure
-Changes in Matter Physical vs. Chemical
-Conservation of Mass with Chemical Reactions and equations.

Each class will have a maximum of 45 minutes and many days will be cut short due to end-of-year activities, celebrations, and field trips. Any help or tips I can get would be AWESOME! Thank you in advanced!

This thread was posted on April 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM ET by Danielle Suits.
  |   1 Reply   |   Last on 4/24/2018 at 8:12 PM ET
Re: Looking for Interactive-Low cost basic Chemistry Activities

For chemical changes, look up the reaction sunset in a bag, easy to do and fun. Or even easier, put dilute copper sulfate in a ziplock baggy and add aluminum foil. Great reaction!

This was posted on April 24, 2018 at 8:12 PM ET by Joleen Michalowicz.