Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - Graduate/Professional Educators - June Topic - Flipped Classrooms

A forum for graduate and professional educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

What is one thing that excites you and one things that scares you about flipped classrooms? 

This thread was posted on June 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   1 Reply   |   Last on 6/12/2014 at 1:10 PM ET
Re: June Topic - Flipped Classrooms

I am a flipped classroom neophyte.  At WVSOM we have launched a new curriculum and I have tried to incorporate the flipped philosophy into several of my presentations.  The way we do it is give the class a question or a genetics problem, and ask them to discuss it amongst themselves or work it out in small groups.  Then we use clicker questions to see what they came up with.  We also ask representatives from the groups to not only explain why the correct answer is correct, but also why the distractors are wrong.  I am very impressed with the potential of getting students to actively work with each other to reason out problems, instead of their simply absorbing information in a lecture.  My impression so far is the most difficult challenge is coming up with good questions.  A question should be broad enough to cover range of the material, challenging enough to make them think, and it should focus on key points.  I must confess I do not think my questions have always been successful.

Thatch

This was posted on June 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM ET by Jack Thatcher.