Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - May Topic - Next Generation Science Standards

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

How have the Next Generation Science Standards impacted your teaching? 

This thread was posted on May 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   3 Replies   |   Last on 5/21/2014 at 2:00 PM ET
Re: May Topic - Next Generation Science Standards

NGSS have helped me to be more intentional with my teaching.  It has also helped me to refocus on student-centered instruction instead of teacher-centered.  NGSS have also allowed me to look at how I can work with others in my building to make connections between different branches of science as well as across grade levels to make sure there is a cohesiveness within the school.

This was posted on May 15, 2014 at 7:45 AM ET by Georgia Everett.

I teach Nursing Asst preparatory class for 11/12th grade students for the Wa state certification exam.  Integrating the science standards with the department of health requirements and career and tech standards required me to clarify my curriculum in each category to identify more clearly what worked and what needed revision.  Once there I spent some time understanding (and working to understand) how to put the students in the drivers seat of learning.  Some days marvelous, others not so.  Work in progress.

This was posted on May 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM ET by Kathleen Cass.

I think the biggest thing I've tried to focus on and implement in my HS bio classes is havingt he students create models. Sometimes that's just drawing a diagram, other times we've actually designed things. But it definitely makes the kids think about these concepts on another level. 

This was posted on May 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.