Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Con of technology in the classroom? from Andrea Cobb

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

I must be very strategic when asking students to use certain technologies--videos especially. They often percieve the activity as "entertainment" and fail to take notes or otherwise process it to the degree that they do when taking notes from a lecture, etc.  Sadly, we seem to have trained them well to pay attention to the more passive model (for students)  of teacher centered "learning". They are resistant initially to digging out understanding themselves.

This thread was posted on May 27, 2016 at 5:45 PM ET by Andrea Cobb.
  |   2 Replies   |   Last on 10/10/2018 at 6:11 AM ET
Re: Con of technology in the classroom? from Andrea Cobb

I agree with you that you must give careful thought when choosing the most relevant and effective technology that will help them to understand specific concepts and to master objectives.  Last week my students were working on their final project for the year and we tried to not give them as much supports, we did not want to hinder their creativity but they floundered.  Most did not know what to do.  I ended up creating these graphic organizer to support them as they carried out their research.  I am trying a very student centered approach this week as we review for the upcoming state exam.  It will be technology based and they will have to make choices as to which topic they want to review.  I am hoping to have them think and come up with ideas that ensure that they meet the learning target using the classroom and their peers as a resource to increase their understanding of their chosen topic.  I guess I am trying to get them to self regulate their learning and I am hoping that they will be more active and responsible for their learning.  

This was posted on May 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM ET by Ellie Williamson.
Re: Con of technology in the classroom? from Andrea Cobb

Every educator have to be strategic and strict even when it comes to introduced technologies to students as they are curious to learn new things through technologies but somewhere they forgot the actual purpose of availing usage of technology for them. By profession, I am connected to the consultancy where students come to seek university assignment help from the academic experts along with writing guidance, and know very well that how much they are wasting their learning time on internet on playing games, watching videos. So it should be in limit and in proper manners to keep balanced study and entertainment.

This was posted on October 10, 2018 at 6:11 AM ET by Alex Juvion.