Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Pros and Cons of Electronic Resources- Jazz Etter

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Though I determined 5 major pros and cons of incorporating technology in the classroom, my most significant pro and con are provided below:

PRO: Ability to access digital/virtual labs

Having the students perform a virtual version of the lab prior to conducting the physical lab helps to reduce waste and errors due to execution as well as ensure all students are familiar with the materials and procedures (especially with time-consuming or tedious labs, like gram-staining, using the microscope or culturing a petri dish).

CON: Unreliability of internet/Wi-Fi connection AND blocking of necessary websites

Many times, the internet is down and thus students are rendered incapable of working on/completing the digital/virtual assignment. Additionally, though not necessarily a shortcoming of technology itself but rather an issue with district mass-blocking of websites, many useful and/or essential websites are blocked by district filters (including websites/databases for scholarly articles).  Though this can be remedied by contacting relevant district personnel, this can take months to transpire and the site can later be blocked again with additional district filters. This is of course we wasteful in terms of lost class time.

This thread was posted on May 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM ET by Jazz Etter.
  |   1 Reply   |   Last on 9/16/2019 at 7:19 AM ET
Re: Pros and Cons of Electronic Resources- Jazz Etter

A wonderful post and a great opinion! You don't have a proper assistance in writing the academic papers then go to https://papernow.org/coursework-writing-service . I highly recommend it from my own cooperation with them.

This was posted on September 16, 2019 at 7:19 AM ET by Jason Voorhees.