Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Classroom Digital Experience

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

• Do you find that digital resources make your students more or less engaged in the classroom? Why do you think this is?
  • I definitely find that my 6 graders are more engaged when I incorporate any type of digital resources.  I have done review games with students where they can bring their phones to complete the review quiz. We are supposed to be going 1 to 1 by next year so that would make the equity part of using technology in the classroom a lot easier. 
  • Do you find that digital resources improve student achievement in the classroom or are they more of a distraction? Why do you think this is?
  • I think they can be both. There has to be some type of limitation to websites that can be accessed and maybe some type of app where teachers can access the screens of all students.  I find that my students that struggle with writing are way more inclined to write when they can type their answers. They have computer help to help with basic grammar skills and it makes them more confident in the work they turn in. 
  • What challenges have you experienced with using digital resources with your students?
  • I think the biggest challenge at this point, for me, is involving technology as much as I can but keeping in mind the equity aspect. Not all my students have technology or internet access at home.  We currently do not have access to computers, ipads, or chromebooks everyday, which makes technology use in the classroom difficult.  Lastly, how do we manage behavior on devices? How do we keep students on task when they are using their devices in school?  
This thread was posted on May 18, 2016 at 12:02 PM ET by Bianca Arreola.
  |   3 Replies   |   Last on 1/4/2020 at 4:14 AM ET
Re: Classroom Digital Experience

Hi Bianca,

I agree with you on the equity aspect. That troubles me too.  Our school issues students Ipads, but not all students take advantage of this.  When someone is lacking technology, I usually ask her/him to pair up with another student to complete the online assignment.  

This was posted on May 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM ET by lee teevan.
Re: Classroom Digital Experience

Students loves to work digitally so in my opinion students are more engaged in the classwork. Read this blog and have a clear overview about this topic.

This was posted on January 4, 2020 at 4:14 AM ET by Lucifer Hikson.