Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Students using Electronic resources - Stecz

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Do you find that digital resources make your students more or less engaged in the classroom? Why do you think this is?
I feel that it depends on the electronic resource and how easy it is for the students to use that determines whether or not they are more engaged.

Do you find that digital resources improve student achievement in the classroom or are they more of a distraction? Why do you think this is?

I have seen a great deal of student improvement through the use of digital resources because the students can get feedback much quicker and if they know they can improve without having to ask they are more likely to do things to improve.

What challenges have you experienced with using digital resources with your students?

The challenge I see most often is that the chronic cutting and pasting of content in their work from other sources without proper citation.  They have a hard time understanding why they need to put the information they find on the internet in their own words.  I also have a difficult time getting them to understand that wikipedia is not a reliable resource.

This thread was posted on May 17, 2016 at 1:25 PM ET by Catina Stecz.
  |   5 Replies   |   Last on 3/25/2020 at 12:13 PM ET
Re: Students using Electronic resources - Stecz

Catina,

I, too, observe that students can have a difficult time rephrasing or paraphrasing material that they read or obtain from the internet.  Perhaps a way of overcoming the wikipedia issue is by listing resources that are considered to be reliable in nature when you assign the material. I find this often provides the guidance the students need when initially embarking on a research assignment.

This was posted on May 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM ET by Jazz Etter.

Based on personal experience, the employment of digital resources provided an extra avenue for the students to enhance their understanding. Unfortunately, not all of them were discerning in determining the validity of their resources. There are cases wherein the students tend to favor the “cut and paste” approach.

This was posted on May 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM ET by James Sy.

I do think the chronic problem of cutting and pasting occurs a bunch.  I also think it can be easier to cheat because they can take picture, email... assignments to their friends.

This was posted on May 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM ET by Kim Terry.

Hello,

Cutting and pasting is a very real problem! They don't have to really read and digest anything! I don't have a great solution, but when I notice my students taking advantage of this they loose their access to submitting work via electrnic devices and have to submit on papter for a while.

This was posted on May 18, 2016 at 2:54 PM ET by Kristen LaRue.

I believe these are good resources for the students until they will not use it for negative things. As everything has its pros and cons. So it depends on us to use the things for our benefit and don’t issue the technology. Thanks for sharing on http://toptenwritingservices.com/bestessays-com-review/ website the information is really helping.

This was posted on March 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM ET by Janis Prioleau.