Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Community Forums - LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows - Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

A discussion forum for participants of the LifeSciTRC Scholars and Fellows Programs. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

The use of digital resources as a means of increasing student engagement depends both on the student and the resource.  The resource has to hook them to engage them. If there is too much reading etc. it can overwhelm them and no matter how scientifically accurate, complete and extensive it is the student will not make effective use of it. Materials applicable to the student, related to their lives and short are often the most effective.

If a resource engages a student then it has the potential to improve student achievement.  Reources that are games or competitions between students in the class can be effective tools for reviewing and enhancing learning.   If not they are at best a distraction.

I find some of the challenges with digital resources are:

Some of the challlenges with digital resources are consistency of access and performance of the resource in terms of response, locking up etc., the and willingness of students to read, follow directions and not be afraid to try/explore the resource without explicit directions or assitance (ex. if a virtual lab, activity).

This thread was posted on May 15, 2016 at 9:16 PM ET by Robin Cowen.
  |   16 Replies   |   Last on 7/4/2020 at 8:03 AM ET
Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

I have also had students who are afraid to explore a resource without assistance from me.  I allow a certain amount of time before I assist students and I encourage them to ask someone in their group for help.  If one student continually relies on others, I hover in that area and encourage the student to work on their own.  

This was posted on May 16, 2016 at 8:54 AM ET by Jennifer Smith.

I find that if I do one activity with them as a demo they are much more likely to understand the process and are more willing to work on their own.  When I do not go through the demonstration process I find the students much more frustrated.

This was posted on May 17, 2016 at 1:26 PM ET by Catina Stecz.

Could you provide an example of how you have been able to "hook" your students engagement with the use of a technology lesson? I agree, with your biggest challenge. Students often do not read everything even though the instructions on written all out for them.  Maybe its going to this idea of taking a cook book lab and transforming it to be more student centered.  Right now with the virtual labs that require a lot of procedural steps, I am working on making those labs more transparant for students and written in a way that they can complete the task without my help every step of the way. 

This was posted on May 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM ET by Bianca Arreola.
Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

I teach at an all boys school - so if there is a competition - game involved they are more likely to be motivated to explore.  Also if it involves something they are really interested in - physical fitness, muscles, steroid effects,  etc. they are always more interested. Robin

This was posted on May 30, 2016 at 3:16 AM ET by Robin Cowen.
Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Many thanks! best CBD oil

This was posted on May 13, 2020 at 3:50 AM ET by raymond weber.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

Looking for popular Las Vegas hotels? Compare with Hotels-flights-rentals-travel.com to find the ideal hotels for your budget, from cheap hotels to luxury city center accommodations. Check our amazing deals & save with our price match guarantee. best hotels in las vegas

This was posted on June 5, 2020 at 1:34 PM ET by raymond weber.

Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. singapore wedding jewellery with price

This was posted on June 23, 2020 at 7:22 AM ET by raymond weber.

I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. ??

This was posted on June 24, 2020 at 5:26 AM ET by raymond weber.

Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue. so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks online poker

This was posted on June 25, 2020 at 8:01 AM ET by raymond weber.

If you don"t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries.  ??????? ???????

This was posted on June 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM ET by raymond weber.

Playing games and sports has always been the topmost hobby of a lot of people. A large number of people rely on sports not only as a leisure activity but also for fun. This leads to professional sports. The professional game players have their life in their game. Best Badminton Racquets For Doubles

This was posted on June 27, 2020 at 7:47 AM ET by raymond weber.

I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Jasa Pengiriman dari China yang Murah dan Cepat

This was posted on June 28, 2020 at 4:38 AM ET by raymond weber.
Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. IT Support

This was posted on June 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM ET by raymond weber.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

You have made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for more information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this web site. iml academy sign in

This was posted on June 29, 2020 at 8:55 AM ET by raymond weber.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

For a long time me & my friend were searching for informative blogs, but now I am on the right place guys, you have made a room in my heart! im academy forex review

This was posted on June 30, 2020 at 5:44 AM ET by raymond weber.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Students Using Electronic Resources Robin

I truly welcome this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be valuable for the vast majority of the general population. ??? ??? ??

This was posted on July 4, 2020 at 8:03 AM ET by raymond weber.