Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - PhUn Week- What works best?

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Have you participated in PhUn Week? How did you set up your event? What worked and what didn't? Particularly, what age group did you target, how large was your focus group, and what types of teaching or learning activities did you include in the event? Were you able to work closely with a physiologist to plan new lessons, or did you re-use resources from other teachers? If you have advice about the successes of your program, please share!

This thread was posted on December 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM ET by Leslie Worton.
  |   2 Replies   |   Last on 4/2/2014 at 3:04 PM ET
Re: PhUn Week- What works best?

PhUn Week is such a great opportunity for students to meet a scientist! One scientists who visited an elementary school shared with me that at the beginning the kids though all scientists wore white lab coats and goggles. By the end of the visit, they realized that anyone could be a scientist, including them! The advice they shared for making PhUn Week work is good communication and don't let the red tape scare you!

This was posted on December 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
Re: PhUn Week- What works best?

I have a wonderful PhUN with the University of Arizona professor of physiology. He was able to recruit several volunteers from his lab and department. They signed up for one of many time slots. In two days they were able to reach out to all of my students (we have a block schedule here odd classes one day the even classes next). The topic was muscle types and there six stations so about 4-7 students visited each lab station and rotated after 10 minutes. The lessons were short, informative and interactive and each had an objective pertaining to muscle types, anatomy, physiology. they even brought an ECG machine and hooked up a student in the group.

This was posted on April 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM ET by sheila Marquez.