Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - Undergraduate Educators - July Topic - Teaching with Case Studies

A forum for undergraduate educators at the community college, college, and university level to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

How do you like to use Case Studies in your classroom? If you don't use Case Studies, what has kept you from doing so?

This thread was posted on July 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   10 Replies   |   Last on 4/19/2017 at 12:54 AM ET
Re: July Topic - Teaching with Case Studies

There are a lot of case studies that I like that work with my students who have higher reading levels, higher analysis skills, etc. I struggle to find, or be able to modify, case studies for my English Language Learners and students on learning plans. Does anyone know of any case study resources that support more genearl students who want to learn anatomy in engaging ways?

This was posted on May 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM ET by Anna Cynar.

I have not used case studies in my classroom, but I think it would be a great tool. It would make teaching and learning more interesting.

This was posted on April 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM ET by Lupe Acevedo.

I use case studies at lease weekly in all my courses which includes anatomy & physiology, environmental science, and general biology.  Typically, for A&P I start each topic with a case study scenario at the begining of the lecture. Students then use the content of the lecture to fill in information about the case study. Usually, students are able to come up the a rational explanation of the case study by the end of the class or the topic.  Case studies are used to reinforce content at the end of a topic in my environmental science and general biology teaching.  The students work in groups to use lecture content to resolve in "not so simple" issue on the topic being covered in class. 

This was posted on July 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM ET by Brian Shmaefsky.

I too use case studies during my teaching, esp in endocrinology classes. After I teach a few endocrine disorders, I give paper-based  case scenarios with a few questions on the case, on which students sometimes work in groups. It evokes a lot of discussion and students will get a chance to know whether they really know the subject matter or not.

This was posted on July 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM ET by Reem Abraham.

I like using case studies in my A&P classes. I’ve been adding them to the lab manual as a way to increase the relevance of the content.  They are also great for integration of information from several areas. I prefer to have students work on them in small groups.  In my favorite case study, I provide a scenario and have the students ask me for the information (various test results, family history, etc.) that they think they need to solve the case.  I only give them the information they ask for rather than immediately providing all the data they will need. 

I would like to add more case studies, but I need to find some that are already written.  Not only does it take a lot of time and research for me to write my own, I’m always concerned that I may be incorrect in my understanding of different scenarios.  the other problem that holds me back is time.  Case studies are time-consuming for students.  As I cut down on the breadth of content and work on flipping my classroom, I’m hoping to free up more time for things like case studies.

This was posted on July 16, 2014 at 11:50 PM ET by Janice Fritz.
Re: Re: July Topic - Teaching with Case Studies

Janice -

We have many case studies in the LifeSciTRC that you may find useful. Try starting with this collection of A&P Case Studies - http://www.lifescitrc.org/collection.cfm?collectionID=2802

Does anyone else have recommendations?

This was posted on July 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
Re: Re: July Topic - Teaching with Case Studies

There is also this collection of case studies and problem based learning for A&P http://www.lifescitrc.org/collection.cfm?collectionID=2706

There is also a great conversation happening over at the K-12 community blog on case studies in the classroom. Be sure to check it out! http://blog.lifescitrc.org/k12confab/2014/07/09/teach-with-case-studies/

Coming from a humanities background myself, I am curious if anyone sees a particular benifit to using case studies in class for non-science majors. Do case studies help students with different learning styles or academic backgrounds better understand the scientific processes they are learning about?

This was posted on July 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM ET by Elizabeth Kay.
Re: Re: Re: July Topic - Teaching with Case Studies

I've found that non-majors students connect with the material in a more realistic manner when using case studies as compared to science majors (in science courses). In the former, I incorporate case studies into the lectures and for the latter case studies form the foundation of multi-phase, out-of-class assignments.

This was posted on July 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM ET by Carol Britson.

I just started using case studies in undergraduate anatomy course. The students work in teams on topics covered in lecture that week. I like that the cases and questions get the students to think about the system we are studying in terms of other systems and how all the systems interact and work together. The students must use the information they learned and integrate the information and use it in new ways.

This was posted on October 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM ET by Cynthia Motzny.

I would dapple in case studies, but didn't feel that I had a lot of resources available to me other than what I made.

This was posted on October 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM ET by Kristin Rosler.