Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - test corrections / retesting policies?

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

What are your policies regarding allowing students to do test corrections and/or retest?

This thread was posted on April 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM ET by Sarah Grunblatt.
  |   4 Replies   |   Last on 4/21/2017 at 8:14 PM ET
Re: test corrections / retesting policies?

I occassionally allow test corrections but they are fairly labor intensive.  It is based on a AAAS model where students have to answer why the answer they changed to in a multiple choice question is correct and why each other choice is wrong.  They cannot say "careless error" or something to that effect.  It has to be scientifically sound.

This was posted on April 18, 2017 at 9:47 PM ET by Luisa McHugh.

Hi Sarah,

Our school system requires retesting for any student scoring less than an 80% on major assessments.  Teachers have the options to designate what sort of remediation students must complete to be eligible for the retest. They also can desginate what a major assessment is (something that affects their quarter grade, I guess)--at my school for gifted students, we have to retest only for one major assessment per quarter and the teacher selects that one-but it is a very difficult thing to implement and weaker students get trapped in a cycle of retakes, studying for retakes at the expense of learning the current material.  Nice idea in theory but we also don't have test banks to construct retakes, so making an equivalent but different test is extremely time consuming. We also have the ability to not retest but to allow students to do test corrections.  My CLT group's data shows that test corrections are only effective for the students earning just below 80% and are ineffective for those scoring a failing grade. It is a work in progress and we have asked the school board for our students to have a 60% or lower requirement for a retake rather than an 80% or lower.

This was posted on April 21, 2017 at 8:45 AM ET by Andrea Cobb.

In courses where students have to take a state mandated end of course test, students are required to take retests for grades below 64.  This practice has unfortunately created a culture of students who have grown accostomed to having a "second chance" to pass the test and don't put forth there best effor the first time around. Test corrections are optional, but in the cases where they have been used the results are not very beneficial for the vast majority of the students who score in the failing range.

This was posted on April 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM ET by Joy Clark.

I allow for test corrections if they come in during after school tutoring. After they finish their corrections, they are required to sit with me and go through every correction. 

This was posted on April 21, 2017 at 8:14 PM ET by Ana Galicia.