Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Virtual versus hands-on laboratory activities

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Virtual  laboratory activities cannot replace the benefits of actually performing an experiment         but they do serve a purpose. Some (i.e. Utah University Virtual Library) are quite helpful in giving students an idea as to the logistics associated with a real, multi-step experiment. 

Jason Econome

This thread was posted on April 13, 2017 at 8:04 PM ET by jason econome.
  |   2 Replies   |   Last on 4/18/2017 at 7:31 PM ET
Re: Virtual versus hands-on laboratory activities

I agree with you. Virtual laboratory activites guide students a lot but is limited in providing students with experiential learning that they will only get when they do the experiements in actual. Unfortunately though some city schools lack the resources and support to get actual materials for students to do real hands on experiments. Virtual lab activities maybe their only option. 

This was posted on April 17, 2017 at 9:24 PM ET by Abigail Mente.
Re: Re: Virtual versus hands-on laboratory activities

Some of the virtual labs I have used (Cloning Mimi the mouse) students could never do in a class but it gives them an opportunity to use manipulatives and make predictions.  And although I try to have many of my students attend a local university lab to perform a gel electrophoresis activity, a simulated gel electrophoresis is better than a paper model and gives students the science concepts of running the electrophoresis without needing to know how to actually set up a gel.

This was posted on April 18, 2017 at 7:31 PM ET by Luisa McHugh.