Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

I have found that although students start out at the beginning of the semester willing to be enagged in class discussions and activities, this interest often fizzes out in the face of other assignments/tests/projects etc.  During the middle of the semester, I often find students staring daggers at me because they would rather have the time to do some project due the next period.  I have tried to alleviate this boredom by offering small yet interesting hands-on activities which last 10-15 min, but engage the students since they are up and moving out of their seats.  This does not always work, however, does anyone have any other suggestions to keep students engaged?  

This thread was posted on April 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM ET by Sowmya Anjur.
  |   7 Replies   |   Last on 4/20/2017 at 10:57 AM ET
Re: engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods

This is a perfect time thread! We just finished state testing and going into Easter Break. Once the students come back from Easter we only have 4 weeks of school and then final exams. These 4 weeks are the most difficult because they are only thinking about summer break. I would love some ideas as well. The things I try are more classroom games like Kahoot and more labs.

This was posted on April 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM ET by Betty Smith.
Re: Re: engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods

I have also tried to incorporate more games like Kahoot and Quizlet Live (for vocabulary) to keep students motivated and learning. Our school uses a balanced calender with 2 weeks for spring break, by the time students return from spring break all motivation is lost. This is particularly difficult in the AP classes with the big test coming up and an high percentage of seniors getting " senioritis" 

This was posted on April 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM ET by Lora Cottom.
Re: Re: Re: engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods

Thanks for the ideas.  I teach Physiology so I have also tried taking them to the gym and having them measure heart rate!!!!!!  It gets them out of their chairs and is good for them.  Usually they seem to enjoy the exercise once they get over their initial reluctance .  The trek to the gym also seems to stimulate them AND I can justify it as a learning experience!

This was posted on April 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM ET by Sowmya Anjur.
Re: Re: Re: Re: engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods
This was posted on April 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM ET by Mike McGinn.
Re: engaging students in class discussions during "slump" periods

I think you are taking the best route.  I try to break up class into segments.  A little direct instruction, al ittle exploration, a little independent thinking or writing.  The final key is old fashioned "walking around the room and directly interacting with as many students as you can one on one."  I find this really keeps them all a little more involved in what is going on but it is exhausiting!

This was posted on April 16, 2017 at 7:30 PM ET by Mike McGinn.

Another method I use is to have them suggest what they would like to learn and get them to provide me with a list of materials, etc that I can procure for them, which in turn allows them to take responsibility for their own learning and helps them understand the material better.  An example would be studying the brain by making comic strips and/or jeopardy questions.  Kahoot is also a  great tool!

This was posted on April 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM ET by Sowmya Anjur.

Anything to get them going!

This was posted on April 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM ET by Sowmya Anjur.