Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Pros and cons of digital resources in the classroom

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Greetings, All!

Digital resources abound that I find to be very useful for providing alternative ways to improve student understanding.  However, we provide laptops for my students and I am not able to always stand by each student and monitor how much they stay on task.  The temptation to play games or visit their social media accounts is very strong and I find that a large number of students lose focus as they are still thinking about these even when working on the correct site.  While digital resources provide a fast and convenient way to access resources, I'm not convinced that student-centered access to these is improving student learning.  I am going to review the literature (a plus for digital recourses!) and see if anyone has attempted to gather data on this.

This thread was posted on May 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM ET by Michael Lyons.
  |   5 Replies   |   Last on 4/20/2017 at 6:29 PM ET
Re: Pros and cons of digital resources in the classroom

Dr. Lyons, You might want to repost this over in the LifeSciTRC Scholars & fellows area as that is where Blackboard is directing this discussion.

Sorry for the confusion,

Charlie

This was posted on May 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM ET by Charles Geach.

I teach at a very technology heavy school as well and I have encountered the same problem! It is very hard to monitor each students progress on in class assignments when they have so much access to other distractions! 

This was posted on May 18, 2016 at 12:15 PM ET by Kristen LaRue.

I apologize for an irrelevant question, but how were you able to post this thread so early?  My lesson wasn't opened until today, May 20, 2016...the same day it happens to be due.

This was posted on May 20, 2016 at 7:52 PM ET by Heather Simpson.

I agee. Kids start playing games on the computer. The biggest issue we have is computer damage in my school. It isn't happening in my class, but the computers are being broken from misuse. Also, my school wants us to hand every child their assigned computer and put them away. This takes valuable time away from actual learning. Then I have the problem of the computers not actually starting or working. 

This was posted on April 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM ET by allison wiesel.

My school uses a program called iTALC (Intelligent Teaching and Learning with Computers) that allows the teacher to monitor/view students's laptops from his/her desktop.  If a student are off task, the teacher can lock the student's screen to get his/her attention.  There are also apps for iPads that allow the teacher to control his/her students's screens. 

This was posted on April 20, 2017 at 6:29 PM ET by Tawanda Butler.