Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Activities to Teach about Women Scientists

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Do you have a great activity that you do with your class to teach them about women scientists? Share it with your fellow teachers! Post it below or submit it to the Archive.

This thread was posted on March 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM ET by Miranda Byse.
  |   3 Replies   |   Last on 4/19/2017 at 6:54 PM ET
Re: Activities to Teach about Women Scientists

There are some great movies and books coming out about women scientists. Providing coverage and opportunities to see and review these are a simple way.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/janelle-monae-will-co-star-in-a-movie-about-the-women-b-1763634154

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-woman-who-discovered-dnas-double-helix-may-get-a-mu-1773860791

In general the more aware we are of the diversity of images and examples used of scientists in our classrooms helps. Having students analyze current scientist research, sharing video clips of research from scientists of all types, etc. is very powerful.

This was posted on May 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM ET by Anna Cynar.
Re: Activities to Teach about Women Scientists

I always feature a scientist of the week whose work relates to something we are studying or to the various monthly celebrations that are ongoing (black history month, etc.) and I alternate male and female throughout the year.  Students have to find three reasons this person should be known and turn in on a weekly basis.  It's fun and it covers the historical perspective that is so hard to include with science. 

This was posted on April 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM ET by Dan Bartsch.
Re: Re: Activities to Teach about Women Scientists

That is a great idea, I think I may try something similar as bellwork.

Lenora

This was posted on April 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM ET by Lenora Higuera.