Please Log In
E-mail Address

Password

Remember Me

Forget your password?
Reset it here.

Don't have an account?
Register here!

You must log in in order to submit a teaching resource, save or e-mail your searches and resources, review a teaching resource, or participate in community discussions.

Follow Us

Community Forums - K-12 Educators - Podcasts?

A forum for K-12 educators to share classroom resources and teaching ideas. If you would like to contribute to the forums or to change your subscription, please log in to the left.

Does anyone assign students to listen to podcasts? I have found some really great ones that I would love to incorporate, but not sure how to go about it. I want more than just them taking notes. Any thoughts?

This thread was posted on November 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.
  |   7 Replies   |   Last on 12/6/2016 at 10:24 PM ET
Re: Podcasts?

Hi Aubrey,

For the APS podcasts our Education Committee members created short written quizzes to go with them. Here's an example: http://www.lifescitrc.org/resource.cfm?submissionID=7678 

This was posted on November 17, 2015 at 5:18 PM ET by Miranda Byse.

Yes! Which one(s) did you find? I have been using primarily Radiolab for the last 8 years. I've screened many others from different sources, but none were as engaging in story telling as Radiolab. I assign them in a variety of courses, depending on the fit b/n episodes and what we study. The assignments involve either writing reflections on what they have learned, how it affected their thinking, what they might want to challenge, etc., or anwering questions that I prepare following the first session. So no notes taking at all. They learn to go back and re-listen ,if they are pursuing a particular thought. I've had an amazing buy-in over the years.  

This was posted on January 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM ET by Moshe Khurgel.
Re: Re: Podcasts?

What a wonderful tool/idea.  I am only in my second year of teaching and I am very eager to pull in more technology (and variety) as much as I can.  Thank you for sharing your insight!

This was posted on May 4, 2016 at 8:07 PM ET by Heather Simpson.
podcasts = not technology

You are welcome. I think I started using them in/after my second year. I learned a lot about teaching and engaging students by spending much time listening to really boring podcasts vs. good ones.

Just don't call it "technology"! :-P (unless you have to, to please the school district)

This was posted on May 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM ET by Moshe Khurgel.

I have my physics students listen to StarTalk at least once a month.  Then they have to research the base topic and comment on what they found out.  they analyze whether or not the cast provided accurate and easy to understand information

This was posted on May 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM ET by jane schuster.
Re: Re: Podcasts?

Thank you very much for sharing this information. It sounds like a good way for the students to express the depth and complexity of their acquired knowledge!

This was posted on May 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM ET by James Sy.

Shame on me for not replying, guys! I did end up using them and some went MUCH better than others. I used one from RadioLab and they seemed to like the storytelling format much better than StarTalk, which is more of a conversation. I've also used a few from Stuff You Should Know, which are kind of hit or miss based on the topic. 

I've also found some short (10-15 minute) ones that go much better. Sitting and listening is really hard for them (shocking, right?). I try to tell them that they can listen while they're doing other things, otherwise they space out too easily. We all do the same thing! 

As for the assignment, I created a sheet in Publisher with 4 boxes that they fill in while they listen: Important people/dates/and places (sometimes I switch it to terms/important info), Quotes, their own questions, and a response to what they heard.  

This was posted on December 6, 2016 at 10:24 PM ET by Aubrey Mikos.